Cookies, Don't Fail us Now

I've heard from many of you who've been dipping a toe into the world of sourdough. I am touched that you thought to come to me for assistance. Sourdough and I have been on a journey for almost four years now and I've only just gotten my techniques solidified, a trustworthy recipe, and my ingredient list narrowed down. Kudos to those of you who have the time and bandwidth to try out such a finicky baked good. If you need some sourdough starter, I'm your gal.

For the rest of us, there are cookies.



Cookies are my absolute favorite thing to bake. I could bake them my entire life and still not have attempted all the various breeds of cookies. There are soft cookies, twice-baked cookies, cookie bars- oh my gosh, I'm overwhelmed and delighted by all the possibilities.

I'm embarrassed to say that until yesterday, I had kind of forgotten about cookies.

Perhaps I was ignoring my desire to bake them knowing that my husband doesn't really eat sweets and therefore I would be charged with eating all the cookies. Normally, I would rise to the occasion. But there comes a time in the lifespan of a plate of cookies where I feel urged to share my success with my friends and colleagues. I can't do that during quarantine. I have no one but my husband to share my baking conquests with. When I hold up my finished product, begging him to praise my delicate flaked sea salt application and bakery like symmetry, he gives me a forced smile and with feigned enthusiasm says, "Oooooh."

So you see my dilemma. Do I bake a batch of 18-24 cookies for only myself to enjoy?

Hell yeah, I do.

And I urge you to do the same. Single, partnered, parent to a horde of unruly but adorable children (my sympathies to the latter)- take my advice and bake some damn good chocolate chip cookies. Hide them from your people and eat them in secret in your closet/bathtub/Zoom meeting.

I offer you three recipes from which to choose, with tasting notes for each.

Chocolate Chunk Cookies by blogger Crepes of Wrath
Recipe Highlights

  • Winner of the Anderson Cooper Cookie Challenge
  • Uses 2-3 kinds of chocolate!
  • Crunchy and chewy- how does she do it?!
  • Use a cookie scoop for that bakery look
Alison Roman's THE COOKIE
Recipe Highlights

  • A non-traditional chocolate chip cookie that tastes more like a shortbread
  • Not too sweet; you MUST not skip the sea salt step
  • People will be impressed by these cookies. I call these my party cookies. Bring em to a party and everybody will think you are very cool and talented.
  • I'm aware of Roman's recent idiotic remarks against Marie Kondo and Chrissy Teigan, but she's apologized and makes a mean cookie.
Lynn's Cookies
Recipe Highlights

  • Given to me by a colleague after I spent months begging for the recipe
  • I don't actually know who Lynn is
  • I don't normally like baking with margarine, but when I've subbed in butter it's just not the same
  • These are meant to be a big cookie. Wrap a few up in a cellophane bag, tie with a bow, and you've got a delicious gift.

Let me know which recipe is your favorite! And don't tell my old coworker that I gave away the confidential and highly sought after recipe. Be well!

Comments

Popular Posts