Welcome to my Pumpkin Patch

Happy fall my fellow New Englanders! Our favorite season is finally here. I am quite proud of myself that I waited until the first official day of autumn to break out my decor. I did not wait, however, to start brainstorming how I was going to celebrate and enjoy my favorite season.

You see, Dan's sister, Laura, is a crocheting genius. And last year I learned how. So now when she discovers a pattern or product that is beginner friendly, she passes it on to me. Back in September, she introduced me to the highly addictive, quick to work up, pumpkin. And just like that my pumpkin crocheting addiction began.

In the weeks since I've created quite a patch of sweet little pumps. They're taking over our dining room table, crowding Penny on her perch on the top of the sofa, and occasionally taking a ride on the robot vacuum. Dan encouraged me to maybe do something with all of the pumpkins, so I gave a few away at school. Some teachers were a little more enthusiastic than others. One colleague who is decidedly anti-fall was certainly appreciative, but I can tell she is keeping him on display somewhat begrudgingly. It's ok, friend, you can give it away.

Other teachers were rather amazed at my creations. Students observed them collecting on my desk at school and would unknowingly encourage my addiction. And so now I can't stop. Please buy some pumpkins. Dan is begging you.

And now I must share a secret with you.

Until recently, I had never eaten a pumpkin anything.

I just didn't think I would like the taste. What does pumpkin even taste like? What kind of monster puts vegetables in dessert?

Only now as I type this do I remember that I love both carrot cake and chocolate chip zucchini bread.

Anyway, someone at work made this incredible pumpkin cake thingy, and I was bullied into having a mouthful. And now I am no different than any other white girl in America. Because I am obsessed with pumpkin flavored things.

How obsessed am I? Last weekend I baked five varieties of pumpkin cookies and a heavenly pumpkin crumb cake. After the last tray of cookies came out of the oven, I realized I had overdone it.

Actually, that's a lie. I didn't realize it then. I realized it when Dan came into the kitchen, saw there were cookies cooling on every inch of counter space, and banished me to the sofa for a Netflix binge. (He knows if I do too much and don't veg out for a little bit I get a little nasty.) So again everyone at work benefited from my pumpkin obsession.

The unfortunate thing about pumpkin cookies is that it's nearly impossible to bake a crispy version. Pumpkin has a high water content and it is this moisture which creates a soft texture. It made for a delicious and moist (sorry, not sorry) texture in the coffee cake, but a softer cookie. Nobody at work complained, though. And I discovered that if I freeze them, and eat them straight from the freezer, they have a tougher texture. I like this. And it kind of helps me practice some self-control as I have to will myself to go into the creepy basement where the chest freezer is.

Do you have any favorite pumpkin recipes that I should explore? We've got several months for me to dabble, so please send them my way! And if you're in need of a squishy stuffed pumpkin, let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts