Christmas is Coming!

Christmas is coming! I am both excited and exhausted just thinking about it. This is the one time of year when I break out of my introvert shell and actually don't mind socializing. I'm even more comfortable when I'm hosting. I love all the planning that goes into throwing a great party. Menu planning, shopping, decorating, list making- all my favorite things.

Next weekend I'm hosting a Christmas party. This is like my Super Bowl. I've been prepping for a while now and this week is the final push. I know it's going to be a busy week at work and the last thing I need is to be tired, eating junk, and stressed. So in an effort to practice some self-care, I planned and made healthy lunches for the week. I decided on turkey chili since big salads haven't been cutting it for me lately.

Chili is one of my favorite things ever. I love how it can take on so many different flavors depending on seasonings, protein choices, and beans and veggies. I like a traditional chili, usually made with lean ground beef. But I'm trying to eat a little more healthily, so lean ground turkey it is. I also am picky about my peppers. I do not like green bell peppers, so I only ever use orange and yellow. A little jalapeno goes in for heat.
Cooking chili can get stinky, so I recommend you light your favorite candle and turn on the exhaust fan over the stove!


I'm not picky about my beans, but I do like to use at least one can of dark red kidney beans. The bean juice helps keep the chili a nice red color. Oregano, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes all help make that yummy chili flavor. And a bit of brown sugar helps tie it all together.



 One of my favorite cooking tips is in regards to when you add your spices. I believe they do their best work when you add them early and often in the cooking process. I salt and pepper my onion while it's softening, I add a bit more to my peppers when I add them. And then today I added all my seasonings right when I started browning my ground turkey. This gives those seasonings a chance to develop. 

I emptied the cans of beans (bean juice and all!) and diced tomatoes into the pot, gave everything a stir, turned the heat down to low and walked away. This chili is ready to eat in as little as half an hour. If you need more time, you can certainly let it simmer a little longer. 

When I cook this for dinner, I'll whip up some homemade cornbread. If your pan is oven safe, you can pour the cornbread mixture right over your chili and toss it in the oven. Otherwise you can just bake it in a baking dish and cut it into big squares to serve beside the chili. I put a sprinkle of sharp cheddar over my chili, but of course some people prefer sour cream. 

The chopping of the veggies takes the longest time. But if you can spare a few minutes to do all that chopping, this is so worth it. Imagine eating a warm, filling lunch every day all week instead of a sad, soggy sandwich! I can't wait! And if I indulge a little too much next weekend at my party (highly likely), I don't have to feel too badly since the days leading up to it will be filled with filling veggies, fiber, and lean proteins! I say that earns me the right to eat an extra Christmas cookie.

Have a great week! I'll be sure to tell you all about my party adventures next time!
And can we talk about how good the Snapchat filters make us look? My hair actually did look that nice last night, but the rest of it is all fake! And I love it!

Comments

Popular Posts