Bread, Birthdays, and Bird Hijinks

It is incredibly humid for mid-September, and somebody, in an attempt to be super efficient, already took out all the air conditioners. I sometimes think that back to school time for teachers is like nesting for pregnant women. We all run around in late August and early September trying to get our classrooms and houses tidied, and attempting to squeeze in all the fun we didn't get to during the summer. 
Tuukka being weird.


For me, this end of summer race to the finish included baking a few loaves of super yummy bread. I finally mastered making a supremely crusty sourdough. I've been following the steps and recipe described at The Perfect Loaf and have seen a lot of success. It's a great recipe for weekend bakers since you really only need a day of dough prep and the following morning to bake the bread. Two days to make a loaf of bread? Guys, this isn't any ordinary bread. This is the best bread you'll ever make.
Good bread has only three ingredients: flour, water, and salt

Wouldn't this make a yummy bread bowl?

I thought that once school started, I'd be saying heck no to house projects, but I've been doing some decorating, some cleaning, and so much projecting. I installed shades and curtains in the kitchen since when the foliage falls, you can see right in. 
I generally hate valences, but box pleats fix everything!

We also moved Tuukka's cage into the office which is at the back corner of the house. When company is over, it's much easier to tuck him in, close the door, and get him to calm down. This move freed up some space in the living room which allowed me to set up... well, I don't exactly know what to call it. 

What I love most about this new design, is it allows me to do some seasonal decorating. Nearly everything pictured here was free, either a gift or a hand-me-down. The only thing I had to pick up was the mirror, and that sucker was $25 at Homegoods (my favorite place in the world). 

The other project idea came to me on a rather slow jog yesterday morning. I was running down the road in this little private beach community, admiring all the cottages. During a walk segment, I passed by the cutest little cape with the best front door color. I didn't think much of it until later on when I was driving to Walgreens. In the matter of thirty seconds, I had decided I would spend the rest of the day, repainting all the exterior doors. 

So I painted the doors. They are no longer bright teal, but a more subtle grey/blue. I'm sure the neighbors are relieved. 
Tuukka and I made my birthday cake; it was amazing!


I know I should hate September since it means the end of summer and the start of a crazy year, but I think it might be my favorite month. The windows are open, it's great dog walking weather, and I get to see my favorite people (looking at you, teacher friends!) every single day. I hope your Septembers are filled with quiet adventures, naps on the couch, and apple cider doughnuts!
The boys

Comments

Popular Posts